This week has been quite lovely and hectic. Did I ever tell you how I like to be busy? Well, I do and this week has surely given me my fair share!
Let's start with Saturday:
Alissa had opening day for her first season of softball. It was awesome what they do for these girls, they even had a military fly by with planes from 1941! We were at the field for about 5 hours and I got FRIED! I hate being sunburned (a story for another time), and I looked like a lobster when we left. I was wearing a regular t-shirt so I have the most rediculous farmers tan ever.
Sunday:
My cousin asked me to go shopping with her to buy a birthday gift for her boyfriend so we spent the afternoon at the mall. It was a nice day and it was great to spend time with her. While we were there a lady at a kiosk noticed my sun burn and asked me if I went tanning. My cousin replied without skipping a beat, "Do people tan with clothes on?!?" It was hilarious. You could see my farmers tan lines from a mile away! We got home Sunday afternoon and I started feeling sick again. I just got over a knarly cold about 2 weeks ago and now I have one again!
When we got home my cousin was playing with Carley and all of a sudden Carley started screaming. I asked what was wrong and she said her arm was hurting her. Being a mom I gave her the whole plethera of questions and figured out that she hurt it while we were at Sam's Club about 2 weeks ago after falling in the parking lot. At the time she cried but soon got over it and has complained here and there, mainly when someone touches it, but nothing consistant. I began to get concerned because 2 weeks is a long time so I decided to make her a doctor's appointment first thing the next morning. All along she's been moving it like normal, has full range of motion, no swelling or brusing, and can push, pull, etc.
Monday:
I spent a great amount of the morning in bed because of my lovely cold but I managed to make Carley a doctors appointment for the afternoon. By the way, being sun burned and sick is not fun! The doctor examined Carley's arm and said she had a slight suspicion that it could be fractured but thought it was probably a strain. I asked for an x-ray anyway. After we left the pediatrician's office I took Carley to the x-ray place right away. As soon as the technician handed me the films he said "If I were you I would take these to your doctor before they close tonight." That was at 4:45. I got in my car, called the pediatrician and told her I was on my way to drop off the films. They told me they don't read x-rays so I should go home and hold onto them and that the doctor would call me tomorrow with the reading. I took the x-rays home and looked at them myself and something didn't look right but I am no x-ray expert. Needless to say, I didn't sleep very well.
Tuesday:
I called the doctor at 8:00 AM, and again at 2:00 PM and left messages. They didn't call me back until 3:15 and at that time I was on my way to my own doctor's appointment and Jeff was watching the girls. The nurse told me that she didn't know if it was broken or not but they wanted me to bring Carley back in for a splint/temporary cast. (Read: Her arm IS broken but the nurse couldn't tell me that.) I turned around, picked up Carley, took her to my doctor's appointment, then flew to the pediatrician's office and got there at 4:55 (they close at 5:00). They put on a temporary cast wrapped in bright yellow bandaging (Carley picked out the color herself). I was told to make an appointment with an orthopedic doctor so they can review the x-rays and put on a real cast.
After we left her pediatrician we ran over to Alissa's FIRST softball game! It was so fun watching her play. Her team won 7 to 2. Alissa got up to bat once and got a single. She also made it all the way home to score a run for her team!
TODAY:
I called the ortho doctor at 8:00 and left a message. They called me back at 10:00 and said they could fit her in tomorrow morning (I hate the waiting game). When Carley woke up her fingers were swollen and she was complaining about the temporary cast. I asked the kind operator to call me if they had any cancellations. They called back at 11:30 and said they had a cancellation so they'll be seeing her at 3:00 today!
All together Carley has been fine about the whole thing, you wouldn't even know she has a broken arm. She's still as happy and energetic as ever, minus the complaints about the cast bothering her, but overall she's been great!
I will be sure to update after I come home from the orthopedic surgeon's office but for up to the minute information feel free to check out my Twitter account. I will make it unprivate so those of you who aren't following me can get my updates. www.twitter.com/tana_adams
Here she is with her loud and proud cast!


3 comments:
Poor girl. Hope she is doing better. We are coming home in April...lets hang out. and as normal I am coming 2 days before Steve so we could do some girl time too, shopping fun perhaps.
Poor Carley. Let me know what the doctor said about it. I hope your cold gets better and your sunburn stops hurting. Poor Tana banana. And hooray to Alyssa for scoring a run for her team. Hope all is well for you guys. We should get together soon. Miss you and the girls. It's been forever.
Poor little Carley!! She is so adorable!! She is the perfect mix of you and Jeff :)
Post a Comment