Our poor little Carley is sick and we need some prayers. I thank the Lord that Carley is not seriously ill but it's still very scary to see your child in pain and not know how to help.
Here's the background story. . .
On Friday morning Alissa woke me up shortly after 6 AM and said that Carley was on the couch watching TV complaining of a headache.
I got up to check on Carley and she had a slight fever. I didn't own a thermometer ::gasp:: so I am not sure what her exact temp was. She just said she had a headache and wanted to rest. If you've ever been around Carley you would know that she does NOT rest. Like never, ever. Even as an infant her naps were never more than 15 minutes long. It's just how she is.
Friday continues and she becomes more lethargic but can still move and walk around and eats popsicles like crazy. She allows Jeff and me to give her a bath but complains the whole time that she wants to lay down.
On Jeff's way home from work he buys a digital under-the-tongue thermometer.
Saturday morning Carley still has a fever and is even more lethargic. I offered her a popsicle and she gladly accepted. After one lick she said it was yucky and refused to eat anything else but continues to drink water. Alissa had a softball evaluation that I had to take her to. I get Carley up, dress her and take her to the softball field hoping that fresh air may help her. She sleeps in the stroller the entire time.
Saturday afternoon around 12:00 Carley started vomiting but not copious amounts - I'm talking a tablespoon if not less. This happens maybe 6 times on Saturday and through until bed time.
In the early evening on Saturday, Carley's temperature reaches 103.2 degrees but then descends again to around 99-101. I don't know if I can trust the accuracy of our thermometer.
Later that evening Carley begins to have night terrors and starts to hallucinate. I insist to Jeff that I should take her to the hospital but Carley quickly comes to and Jeff just says it's par for the course with a high fever. The hallucinations scared the TAR out of me! During one of the two episodes Carley opened her eyes, sat up, stretched out her arms and started shouting "NO Mommy! No mommy, don't leave me. Please mommy stay here! Don't go!" Talk about heart breaking. The entire time I'm shouting to her to look at me and when I finally get her to make eye contact I actually see her "come back." I can't explain what I saw, you just had to experience it for yourself.
Saturday night is a rough night. She didn't sleep well, whined and whimpered a lot and woke up heaving a few times but no vomit.
Sunday morning Carley wakes up and eats a few noodles from chicken noodle soup, and a couple grapes. She asks for a banana and after taking one bite she spit it back out just like with the popsicle. All along she has been drinking water.
All day Sunday she is still extremely lethargic. Sunday evening she has bad dreams again, talks in her sleep and is very restless. I attempted to take her to urgent care earlier in the evening but it was closed.
Sunday night was a very sleepless night for me. Every 30 minutes or so she shouts "MY TUMMY HURTS. I NEED MY WATER!" and as soon as I give her the cup she takes one sip and is fine. The complaints of abdominal pain begin to come more often.
Monday morning comes and I've had enough. She's had a fever for over 72 hours. I call the doctor and they schedule an appointment for 11:45. I take Carley into the office and the pediatrician examines Carley and says she has the stomach flu. I don't see how this is possible. A few ago she had a stint with diarrhea and was also diagnosed with the stomach flu. The doctor recommends giving Tylenol. I attempted to give Carley Tylenol on Sunday but she refused. The doctor administered a Tylenol suppository.
I bring Carley home from the doctor and she fell asleep. The entire time she was napping she was waking up and whining and crying in various severity's. Sometimes it was a whimper, other times it was a full blown inconsolable cry. Even after the Tylenol suppository her fever never came down.
As of right now I'm debating on taking her to the children's hospital or not. We took her there once in the past and the treatment we received was 2nd to none. The way they cater to children is truly amazing. Her temperature is currently over 102 degrees and she continues to complain of abdominal pain.
A few more points of interest:
Her last bowel movement was on Thursday.
She has had a fever since early Friday morning.
She has been drinking water the whole time, thankfully.
She has had NO diarrhea at all.
She is very inactive.
She has had 2 nose bleeds.
Not to forget that Carley is completely deaf in one ear. We were always told that prolonged fevers can cause damage to her good ear. I am concerned that the nerves may sustain damage from her fever.
I AM WORRIED BEYOND BELIEF!
Please pray for us and I will try to update as soon as I can. I am sure I have missed some details so if I can think of anything else I will post it.
Thank you in advance!
Hugs!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I am praying right now. My heart is breaking for you. Get her to the childrens hospital!!! I'm so worried!
Lots of prayers for you and your girl. Take her into the hospital. It's better to be safe than sorry. Take her now. That is too long for a fever with no relief from Tylenol. Keep us posted please.
Oh, you poor thing. I hope that she get better soon, and it really is just the flu. We will keep you in our prays!
AH! I hate how I miss things like this!! I'm sorry hun, I wish I read this earlier, but I am glad she is doing better... I love you so much, and miss you.
::HUG::
Post a Comment